Friday, September 25, 2015

Five for Friday

I'm back for another Five for Friday post! :D


We started our Legends unit this week. The kiddos are currently "researching" legends by reading various legends and looking for certain components in the legends.




Can you see where this research is leading us to?


If you guessed, writing our own legends then you are correct!
We are going to be publishing our legends into a hardcover book, just like the Cinderella stories I did when I taught second grade! So exciting!

We've already brainstormed ideas for our legends....


...chosen our topics...

...and brainstormed characters and their traits.


 Next week will be all about the writing of the story itself! I'm excited to see what the kids come up with!


This week was my favorite week of teaching math so far...because I was teaching strategies for adding three-digit numbers!



I also absolutely LOVE interactive notebooks! If you haven't tried it out yet, you should definitely give it a go! We have Math and ELA notebooks. Interestingly enough, I use the two notebooks very differently. Maybe I should write about it some time! :)

Just FYI, I use Blair Turner's 3rd Grade Interactive Math Notebook for my class. It's great! Check it out!



Is anybody else tired of benchmark assessments yet??


This is my first year of doing DRAs (I used Fountas & Pinnell at my last school). Deadline for scores are next Wednesday. I have two English classes so I have 47 students to test. I only have 2 hours and 40 mins of instruction time with each class every day. Where do you fit in the testing?? I have no idea...


This Sunday is the Mid-Autumn Festival that's celebrated in Asia. My school is Mandarin-immersion, plus the third grade classes have been learning about the moon with their Mandarin teachers. Of course, that means we should be celebrating the festival! Got some mooncakes and other treats from a parent as a result. :)



Okay, I'm EXHAUSTED. Two more weeks until Fall Break! I cannot wait!!!

1 comment:

  1. I was looking at your Legends work and I have one idea to add to it. I think writing a class reader's theater on one of your legends would really make the entire unit come alive. I got the idea from Genia Connell at ereaderstheater.com (see Featured Teachers). They also have a couple of ready to read legend RT plays on their site.

    ReplyDelete