1. Monday was Earth Day. I wanted to get our Earth Day bulletin board up BEFORE Earth Day so we had started on our writing and craft the previous week. Unfortunately, we didn't finish our stuff until Earth Day. But that just means I get to mention it in this week's Five for Friday! :)
|More about this can be read in my previous post here.|
2. For the last week, my class has been working really hard on a big writing project...creating a book that will be published into a hardcover bounded book! We finished everything and shipped it off to the publishing company on Tuesday. It's a very exciting moment for all of us. I consider it to be the big project that my classroom is known for and it definitely makes for a wonderful keepsake of first grade. The best part of it is....it's FREE (to publish, you have to pay if you would like a copy of the book)!!! It's also a great way to build a class community and get everyone to work as a team! Below is a preview of two of the pages in our book: (Read more about this in a previous post).
3. We're back to addition and subtraction after a month's break (we were studying geometry, patterns, and data and graphing)! Now it's time to get the kiddos ready for second grade math by introducing two-digit addition and subtraction! It's crazy to see how much the kids have learned this year.
4. In Science, we are learning about solids and liquids. We've investigated different types of solids and talked about some properties. This week, we talked about properties of liquids. The kids are really getting it!
5. Finally, the first grade circuit decided it would be fun to do a butterfly unit with the kiddos so we ordered dome painted lady caterpillars and they arrived on Friday! I haven't shown the kids yet. They are going to be in for quite a surprise next week! :)
That's it for this week! Hope everyone else had an exciting week! Next week we are going to hit our 30 day countdown. Can't believe it!