Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Oxygen to Your Brain!

Man, having no school on Monday completely throws me off schedule. This week is going to be a CRAZY week. We had an morning assembly on water conservation today. Tomorrow, we're going on a field trip to watch a symphony concert. And somehow during this week I will need to give the kids an  end of unit OCR test and first trimester Math benchmark exam. Busy busy busy! We also have the entire week off next week so we really have to cram everything in this week.

ANYWAYS. Enough of my griping sharing, I saw a couple of linky parties recently that I wanted to join so here's the first one!

I'm linking up with Miss Kindergarten's Teaching Tip Linky party! Do you have students who can't seem to sit correctly on the carpet no matter how many times you remind them to criss-cross applesauce??? (Who doesn't??) Well here's a little tip you can try in the classroom!

All I have to say is "oxygen to your brains!" and immediately all 24 students of mine will be on their bottoms, legs crossed, sitting up straight and tall. I credit this idea to my master teacher. She would tell her students to sit up straight at their desks when they are taking a test so that they can get oxygen to their brains. I simply generalized it to any time the students are sitting. If I see students slouching at their desks, I just acknowledge how a specific student is ready for class because he/she is getting oxygen to his/her brain and immediately everyone is sitting up straight. I also tell students that if they sit on their knees they are cutting off their blood circulation which also keeps oxygen from getting to their brains. This makes sure they sit on their bottoms rather than on their knees. Oh the things you can tell a child. :)

Hope this tip helps! :)

Also, check out this awesome giveaway below if you want to get some gift cards to some great places! :)


6 comments:

  1. We talk about our brains a lot in my room, so this is great! Thanks for sharing!
    Hilary
    Second Grade is Out of This World

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pam,
    I found you through the linky and am your newest follower. It sounds kinda like the WBT ideas which I incorporated this year and absolutely love!! Thanks for sharing.
    :o)
    Vicky
    Traditions, Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of bringing oxygen to your brain. I found you through the linky party and just started following you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following me! I hope to continue sharing more ideas in the future! :)

      Pam
      Diary of a First Grade Teacher

      Delete