One of the dishes that is traditionally eaten is this dessert dish known as sticky cake ("nian gao" in Chinese). Yesterday, I learned from my mother how to make it so I made it to share with the staff. The staff really enjoyed it so I think I will make it for my class when we have our Lunar New Year luncheon next Friday. It is very easy to make so I thought I'd share the recipe with everyone in case they want to make it to go with their Lunar New Year lessons. Warning: You will need to go to an Asian market for some of the ingredients (I've included pictures for your reference).
Red Bean Sticky Cake Recipe
1 stick of butter (8 oz) melted
2 tsps of baking powder
1/2 cup to 1 cup of sugar (brown sugar works too)
2 cups of milk
2 cups of milk
1 bag of rice flour (16 oz)
1 bag of red bean paste (400g)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix the rice flour, sugar, and baking powder together.
3. Add the melted butter, eggs, and milk to the dry mixture.
4. Pour half of the mixture into a 9x13 inch pan for the bottom layer (make sure it is spread evenly). Put it in the oven and bake it for 20 minutes.
5. Take the pan out of the oven and spread the red bean paste evenly on the sticky cake. Pour the rest of the mixture on top of the red bean paste to create the top layer. Put the pan back into the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes. Poke a stick through to check if it's done. If the stick comes out clean it's done!
6. Take the pan out and it's all done! Serve warm. Serving size is around 26 pieces.
|Don't have a picture of the whole product because the staff devoured it before I could remember to take one!|
Just another thing to add to my Lunar New Years lesson plan. If you need more ideas, please check out my Lunar New Years Idea linky party for more ideas. If you have lessons to share, it's not too late to link up! :)
Last but not least...I have a new product! If you are currently teaching the addition strategy of making 10 to add and need something that goes along with Valentine's Day (which is exactly why I created this), this is the perfect product for you!
|Click on the image above to see it at my TpT store!|
Not sure how many people would want this but let's see! First three people to comment get this product for free! Please sure to leave your email address in your comment! :)