Thursday, September 27, 2012

Language Arts This Week

I'm trying really hard to keep this blog updated!!! I really love reading other teachers' blogs and see what they have been doing in their classroom so I thought I would share some stuff that's been going on in my classroom...Language Arts today and Math tomorrow!

We use Open Court Reading (OCR) for our Language Arts curriculum and this week we wrapped up our current unit called "Let's Read".

We read a story, "Mrs. Goose's Baby", which is about a mother goose who found an egg and decided to take care of it. The egg cracks and lo and behold, it's a baby chick! Of course, Mrs. Goose doesn't seem to realize it and continues to care for the baby in her motherly goose ways. When we finished the story, we created a double bubble map (love thinking maps) comparing Mrs. Goose and her baby.
I love double bubble maps! They always look so awesome when they are done. :)

We also talked about sentences. I learned about sentence CUPS when surfing through teacher blogs and found this cute poster and mini-posters to use in the classroom. I printed out the mini ones, laminated them, and taped them to my students' desks so they can use it to check their sentences. I wish I could remember where I got it from so if you created this, please let me know so I can give you the credit you deserve!

We also created an anchor chart (is this an anchor chart? still not sure what an anchor chart is XD) on reality versus fantasy. I saw this anchor chart on pinterest and thought it was perfect since its one of the comprehension skills I have to cover.

Funny story about this picture below...
So I don't have much wall space at all if you've seen pictures of my classroom in previous posts so basically the only place I can post things is on my windows. And well...my pink marker apparently fades in the sun. We created a double bubble map during the first week of school comparing first grade and kindergarten. And the kindergarten portion faded away! One of my students noticed this week and was like, "Look! It's like kindergarten has faded away for us because we are in first grade!" Haha. So true. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment