Monday, September 3, 2012

TBA Open House Week: Monday ~ Meet the Teacher

So I've been an avid follower of Teaching Blog Addict (TBA) starting from my first year of teaching last year. Now that I've started (and hoping to continue) blogging, I figured I should join in on all the fun with linking parties!
Open House Week
Today is meet the teacher day! :)

Well, let's see, what is there to say? I already gave a short bio of myself in my first entry (this is only the fourth!), what can I add?

During my graduate program in teaching, I student taught in 2nd and 4th grade. I absolutely LOVED my time in second grade which probably had a lot to do with my Master Teacher who pretty much taught me everything I knew about teaching going into my first year. I was a little bummed when I was told during the interview for my current position that it was going to be for a first grade position (the posting was originally for second grade). But, first grade is wonderful too, especially after a year. :)

A week of school has already gone by and I think I am going to have a wonderful year with this new class. Of course, I will continue missing and remembering my previous class (who can possibly forget their first class ever?), but I know my new class of 23 students (had 26 last year!) is going to be great! I already foresee some challenges in academics with such a range of abilities but I am much more prepared this year (I hope)! 

I suppose with only one year of experience down, I am still figuring out my teaching style. I consider myself a pretty strict teacher. I hold pretty high expectations for my students. However, I am still finding a balance with strictness while I continue to learn and remind myself of what my students are developmentally capable of throughout the school year (can they really work on something quietly during the first week of school????). For example, last week I have already taken way more dance breaks than I did last year during my first week of school. Those kiddies have so much trouble sitting for a time period! So, hopefully after a couple more years of experience I'll really have a teaching style figured out. :)

Well, that's all for now folks! Hope everyone who is already back in school enjoyed their long weekend. I know I enjoyed mine. :) 

Come back tomorrow for some classroom photos! :)

PS. I like using smiley faces in case you haven't noticed. I tend to end most of my emails to parents with a smiley face. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment